April, Robert (FASA)
|Portrayed by||James Doohan (Voice)|
In 2185, Commodore Sven van Anling placed April in charge of construction of the second Constitution class vessel, the as-yet-unnamed U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701, at the San Francisco Fleet Yards on Earth. Six months into construction, April took the empty hull of the Enterprise, on a secret mission to retrieve a lost colony vessel, the S.S. Rosenberg, trapped in an ion storm. April hand-picked a command crew he could trust, including his oldest friend George Kirk and his future wife, Sarah Poole. While underway, sabotage threw the Enterprise into the Romulan Neutral Zone, and nearly sparked another war with the Romulan Star Empire. With some assistance from a defecting Romulan, April and Kirk managed to defuse the situation and rescue the colonists.
In 2188, following several shakedown cruises launched by Federation President Solomon Qasr, April assumed command as the first captain of the Enterprise, and commanded the ship from 2188 through 2195. Upon his promotion to commodore, April was succeeded by Christopher Pike. Later that year, with the help of Admiral Eugene Mallory, April helped to ensure that James Kirk was admitted to Starleet Academy.
Notes and References
- Foster, Alan Dean. Star Trek Log Seven. Based upon the teleplay "The Counter-Clock Incident" by John Culver. Ballantine Books, June 1976.
- Carey, Diane. "Final Frontier." Star Trek. Pocket Books, 1988.
- Scheimer, Lou & Prescott, Norm (Producers). "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth." Star Trek: The Animated Series, Episode 21. Directed by Bill Reed. Written by Russell Bates & David Wise. Filmation Associates, 5 October 1974.
- Theisen, John A. "The Four Years War." Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, Supplement 2218A. Cover Art and Illustrations by Dana Knutson. FASA Corporation. 1986.
- Carey, Diane. "Best Destiny." Star Trek. Pocket Books, November 1992.