(The root of all realities)
Eyes were the sensory organ adapted to process electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum into signals that the brain could interpret. In 2256, Captain Gabriel Lorca was wounded in the destruction of the U.S.S. Buran NCC-1422 during the Klingon War. When doctors discovered that he was no longer able to quickly adapt to sudden changes in light, they attributed this to the wounds he suffered. In reality, however, Lorca was actually a Terran from the Mirror Universe who had replaced his counterpart in the Prime Timeline, and in his native universe, the condition is normal for his species.
In the 24th century, Geordi La Forge was born blind. When he was older, he was fitted with a VISOR, which performed a similar function to organic eyes. In 2371, he replaced the VISOR with artificial implants that more closely resembled organic eyes.
Notes and References
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Cage". Star Trek, season 0, episode 0 (Production number 01). Directed by Robert Butler. Written by Gene Roddenberry. Released 1986. Desilu Productions. 1965.
- Fuller, Bryan et al (Executive Producers). "Context is for Kings". Star Trek: Discovery, season 1, episode 3 (Production number 03). Directed by Akiva Goldsman. Story by Bryan Fuller & Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts. Teleplay by Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts & Craig Sweeny. CBS Entertainment. 1 October 2017.
- Fuller, Bryan et al (Executive Producers). "Vaulting Ambition". Star Trek: Discovery, season 1, episode 12 (Production number 12). Directed by Hanelle M. Culpepper. Written by Jordon Nardino. CBS Entertainment. 21 January 2018.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Encounter at Farpoint". Star Trek: The Next Generation, season 1, episode 1-2 (Production number 101-102). Co-Executive Producers: Rick Berman & Maurice Hurley. Directed by Corey Allen. Written by D.C. Fontana & Gene Roddenberry. Paramount Pictures. 28 September 1987.
- Berman, Rick (Producer). Star Trek: First Contact. Directed by Jonathan Frakes. Story by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga & Ronald D. Moore. Screenplay by Brannon Braga & Ronald D. Moore. Paramount Pictures. 22 November 1996.