Admiral Abel Niwen commanded Starfleet's Sixth Fleet in the mid-22nd century, when the first official contact was made between Humans and Tellarites on Reference Stardate 0/7308.20 (20 August 2153). A Tellarite vessel entered the Sol system, declaring that it had been "annexed" by the United Planets of 61 Cygni. With Starfleet forces streched thin patrolling the system due to the ongoing Xindi crisis, Niwen, aboard the Liberty class U.N.S.S. Bonhomme Richard, chose to diplomatically welcome the vessel, warning that any hostile action would be reciprocated. The Tellarite commander accepted what he saw as a message of friendship and implied military alliance, which ultimately resulted in a Tellarite presence at the first Babel Conference, and Tellarites joining as founding members of both the Coalition of Planets and the United Federation of Planets. Admiral Niwen received the Medal of Honor for his efforts, and later retired from Starfleet to serve as Earth's first ambassador to Tellar Prime.
"A very long silence followed, broken finally by the still gruff voice accepting our offer of friendship and exclaiming that as allies we would be an invincible duo."
Notes and References
- "The Romulan War" Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game, Supplement 2217. Game. FASA Corporation, 1986.
- "Where Has All the Glory Gone?" Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game, Supplement 2217. Game. FASA Corporation, 1985.
- The Reference Stardate given, 0/7308, originally worked out to August 2073, a mere 10 years after First Contact with Vulcans, as originally noted in the Spaceflight Chronology. However, Captain Archer seemed unfamiliar with his Tellarite captor's species in 2152. Adjusting the date up 80 years to 2153 placed it several months into the Xindi crisis of Enterprise's third season, and fits with the more defensive and militaristic approach to Starfleet described in the original text.
- "Spaceflight Chronology". Star Trek (Miscellaneous). Book. Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books/Wallaby, January 1980.
- "Babel One". Star Trek: Enterprise, Episode 88. Television. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 28 January 2005.
- "United". Star Trek: Enterprise, Episode 89. Television. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 4 February 2005.
- "The Aenar". Star Trek: Enterprise, Episode 90. Television. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 11 February 2005.
- "Demons". Star Trek: Enterprise, Episode 96. Television. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 6 May 2005.
- "Terra Prime". Star Trek: Enterprise, Episode 97. Television. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 13 May 2005.
- "These Are the Voyages..." Star Trek: Enterprise, Episode 98. Television. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 13 May 2005.