Daedalus class (Columbia)
The Daedalus class came into service in the 22nd century, and was one of the first types of starships commissioned and operated under the auspices of the United Federation of Planets. The Daedalus class was also among the first to demonstrate the primary/secondary hull design that would become characteristic of Starfleet vessels. Unlike most starships, the Daedalus had a spherical main hull. The last ships of this class were—at least officially—taken out of service by the year 2196, though several remained in service well into the 23rd century.
The Daedalus class was already an older design at the onset of the Romulan War, with the class vessel, the Daedalus, being launched in 2139, but was easily refitted with newer technologies introduced on the NX class, notably including the newer Warp Five engines, photonic torpedoes, and phase cannons. Designed for function before form, the Daedalus class ships weren't as sleek or elegant as their NX class sister ships, but they could be constructed far faster, making them a mainstay of Starfleet forces during the war.
Daedalus class vessels
U.S.S. Adirondack • U.S.S. Anson • U.S.S. Archon NCC-189 • U.S.S. Carolina NCC-160 • U.S.S. Zefram Cochrane • Daedalus • U.S.S. Stephen Decatur • U.S.S. Drake • U.S.S. Dykstra • U.S.S. Essex NCC-173 • U.S.S. Heinlein • U.S.S. Horizon NCC-176 • U.S.S. Kearsarge • U.S.S. Kon-Tiki • U.S.S. Lindbergh • U.S.S. Lovell NCC-470 • U.S.S. Nimrod • U.S.S. Olympus • U.S.S. Probert • U.S.S. Ptolemy • U.S.S. Republic • U.S.S. Rochelle • U.S.S. Franklin D. Roosevelt • U.S.S. Shepard • U.S.S. Valley Forge • U.S.S. Wakefield • U.S.S. Yeager NCC-76 • U.S.S. Yorktown NCC-108
Notes and References
- Roddenberry, Gene & Berman, Rick & Piller, Michael (Executive Producers). "Power Play." Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 5, Episode 15. Directed by David Livingston. Story by Paul Ruben and Maurice Hurley. Teleplay by Rene Balcer and Herbert J. Wright and Brannon Braga. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 24 February 1992.
- Okuda, Michael and Okuda, Denise. The Star Trek Encyclopedia, 2nd ed. Illustrations by Doug Drexler. Photo Editing by Margaret Clark. Research Consulting by Robert H. Justman, Greg Jein, and Bjo Trimble. Additional Research by Curt Danhauser and S.J. Casey Bernay. First Edition with Debbie Mirek. Pocket Books, December 1997.
- "The Homecoming." Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," Episode 421. Television. 27 September 1993.
- Ward, Dayton. "What's Past, Book Four: Distant Early Warning." Star Trek: S.C.E., Book 64. Pocket Books, June 2006.
- Stern, Dave. Daedalus. Star Trek: Enterprise. Pocket Books, December 2003.
- Martin, Michael A. The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing. Star Trek: Enterprise. Pocket Books, October 2009.