U.S.S. Kelvin NCC-0514
|Status||Destroyed (Stardate 2233.04)|
The Federation Starship Kelvin, an Einstein class vessel, was originally authorized for construction by the Starfleet Appropriation of Stardate 0965 as the Saladin class U.S.S. Rahman. Commanded by Captain Richard Robau in 2233, the Kelvin was assigned to patrol near the Klingon border. Also serving aboard the Kelvin were first officer Commander George Samuel Kirk, Sr., his wife Lieutenant Winona Kirk, and helmsman Lieutenant Pitts. In 2233, James Tiberius Kirk was born aboard the Kelvin.
On Stardate 2233.04, the Kelvin detected an anomaly near the Klingon border that resembled a "lightning storm in space." Upon investigation, an enormous Romulan ship, the Narada, emerged, having traveled back in time from the year 2387. The Narada immediately attacked, crippling the Kelvin. Captain Robau boarded the Narada, but was killed when the Romulans realized what had happened to them. Commander Kirk, now in command, followed Captain Robau's final instructions to him, ordering an evacuation of the ship in order to implement General Order 13—attempting a last-ditch effort to destroy the Narada by ramming it with the Kelvin. Kirk was forced to sacrifice himself in order to pilot the ship, but he saved more than 800 lives in the process.
Ships Named Kelvin
Notes and References
- Goodman, David A. Federation: The First 150 Years. Titan Books, October 2013.
- Joseph, Franz. Star Trek: Star Fleet Technical Manual. Ballantine Books, November 1975.
- Abrams, J.J. & Lindelof, Damon (Producers). Star Trek. Directed by J.J. Abrams. Written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 8 May 2009.
- "Star Trek". Star Trek. Novel. Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books, May 2009.
- Prior to Stardate 2233.04, the Prime and Kelvin timelines were the same, and the two Kelvins were the same vessel.