The United Earth Starship Daedalus was the prototype of the Daedalus class. The Daedalus was launched in 2139 under the command of Captain Monique Duvall, but was destroyed upon launch while testing an experimental ion drive system developed by Victor Brodesser in competition with Henry Archer's Warp 5 Engine.
Although it appeared to have been destroyed upon launch, the Daedalus was actually propelled to a distant part of space. Fourteen years later, the survivors of the Daedalus crew were found by the Enterprise NX-01, which had been accidentally transported over from the Prime Timeline through a rift in spacetime caused by the detonation of the ship's ion engine.
The Federation Starship Daedalus, the prototype of the Daedalus class, was commissioned in 2162, and commanded by Captain Malcolm Reed. On 13 June 2165, the Daedalus made a brief, if confusing, first contact with the inhabitants of the planet Organia. Reed and his helmsman, Georges Picard, were dumbfounded by the lack of appreciable reaction by the Organians to the landing of their shuttlepod.
Daedalus class vessels
U.S.S. Adirondack | U.S.S. Anson | U.S.S. Archon NCC-189 | U.S.S. Carolina NCC-160 | U.S.S. Zefram Cochrane | Daedalus | U.S.S. Stephen Decatur | U.S.S. Drake | U.S.S. Dykstra | U.S.S. Essex NCC-173 | U.S.S. Heinlein | U.S.S. Horizon NCC-176 | U.S.S. Kearsarge | U.S.S. Kon-Tiki | U.S.S. Lindbergh | U.S.S. Lovell NCC-470 | U.S.S. Nimrod | U.S.S. Olympus | U.S.S. Probert | U.S.S. Ptolemy | U.S.S. Republic | U.S.S. Rochelle | U.S.S. Franklin D. Roosevelt | U.S.S. Shepard | U.S.S. Valley Forge | U.S.S. Wakefield | U.S.S. Yeager NCC-76 | U.S.S. Yorktown NCC-108
Notes and References
- Okuda, Michael and Okuda, Denise. The Star Trek Encyclopedia, 2nd ed. Illustrations by Doug Drexler. Photo Editing by Margaret Clark. Research Consulting by Robert H. Justman, Greg Jein, and Bjo Trimble. Additional Research by Curt Danhauser and S.J. Casey Bernay. First Edition with Debbie Mirek. Pocket Books, December 1997.
- Hite, Kenneth (Line Developer). "Core Rule Book." Star Trek Roleplaying Game, Book 45000. Designed by Christian Moore, Ross Isaacs, Kenneth Hite, and Steven S. Long. Written by James L. Cambias ("Space," "New Life," "Menagerie," and "New Civilizations"), Jackie Cassada and Nicky Rea ("To Boldly Go," and "Where No Man Has Gone Before"), Kenneth Hite (passim), Robin D. Laws ("Federation," "Starfleet," and fictional vignettes), Steven S. Long ("Character Creation," "Characteristics," "Action," "Rewards," "Starships," and "Starship Combat"), S. John Ross ("Constructing an Episode"), and John Snead ("Starship Locations," and "Technology"). Editing by Janice Sellers. Original Art by Randy Asplund (ships), Joe Corroney (creatures), Gordon Purcell (archetypes and adventure), and Walter Velez (Yorktown crew). Last Unicorn Games, Inc., 1999.
- Heinig, Jess (Line Developer). "Starfleet Operations Manual." Star Trek Roleplaying Game, Book 3. Written by Kenneth Hite. Original Art by C. Brent Ferguson and David Pipgras. Decipher, Inc., 2003.
- Stern, Dave. Daedalus. Star Trek: Enterprise. Pocket Books, December 2003.
- Stern, Dave. Daedalus's Children. Star Trek: Enterprise. Pocket Books, May 2004.
- Goodman, David A. Federation: The First 150 Years. Titan Books, October 2013.