|First Appearance||TOS 05 (8 Sep 1966)|
The transporter, sometimes called a "materializer," was a device that allowed near-instantaneous travel from one point to another. On Stardate 1329.8, Doctor McCoy admitted that he "never trusted" the device.
The cycle of the transporter aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 under Captain Pike took approximately 30 seconds from the beginning of the dematerialization process to the end of the rematerialization process at the destination, a dramatic improvement over the original transporter created by Emory Erickson in the 22nd century. According to Erickson, the transporter took 90 seconds, during which time he claimed he could feel himself being dematerialized.
During the Battle of the Binary Stars, the U.S.S. Shenzhou NCC-1227 was unable to fire weapons, but used the transporter to beam the warhead of a photon torpedo into the body of a Klingon corpse before it was retrieved and brought aboard the Sarcophagus ship, where it detonated, crippling the Klingon vessel.
On Stardate 3113.2, the Enterprise accidentally traveled back in time to 1967. While returning, they discovered that it was possible to beam a person into the body of their past self, merging the two into a single being. By the 29th century, this was a common practice used by the Temporal Integrity Commission, and was referred to as "reintegration."
Notes and References
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 1. Directed by James Goldstone. Written by Samuel A. Peeples. Desilu Productions, 22 September 1966.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Cage." Star Trek, Season 0, Episode 0. Directed by Robert Butler. Written by Gene Roddenberry. Desilu Productions, 1965 (Released 1986).
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Mudd's Women." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 3. Directed by Harvey Hart. Story by Gene Roddenberry. Written by Stephen Kandel. Desilu Productions, 13 October 1966.
- Fuller, Bryan & Roddenberry, Eugene & Roth, Trevor & Goldsman, Akiva & Kadin, Heather & Berg, Gretchen J. & Harberts, Aaron & Kurtzman, Alex (Executive Producers). "Battle at the Binary Stars." Star Trek: Discovery, Episode 2. Directed by Adam Kane. Story by Bryan Fuller. Teleplay by Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts. CBS Entertainment, 24 September 2017.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Tomorrow is Yesterday." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 21. Directed by Michael O'Herlihy. Written by D.C. Fontana. Desilu Productions, 26 January 1967.
- Berman, Rick & Braga, Brannon (Executive Producers). "Relativity." Star Trek: Voyager, Season 5, Episode 23. Directed by Allan Eastman. Story by Nick Sagan. Teleplay by Bryan Fuller & Nick Sagan & Michael Taylor. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 12 May 1999.