Sol, commonly known as the Sun, is orbited by eight (or nine) planets—Pluto (Sol IX) frequently switched between being considered a planet and a planetoid prior to its destruction by the Borg in 2380. Humans lived on (or around) every planet in the system, as well as on artificial stations throughout the system, including the Khepera Chromospheric Solar Observatory inside Sol's corona and research stations embedded in comets throughout the Oort cloud a light year distant. Mars was terraformed from Class K to Class M, and terraforming efforts on Venus continued well into the 24th century. The Talosians viewed an image of the Sol system and many images of Earth’s history while accessing the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701's computer in 2254. Perhaps one of the most well-known systems in the Federation, schoolchildren from Rigel to Deneb draw pictures of Saturn's rings in kindergarten; astronomers and planetologists still study data from centuries-old probes of Sol, Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune; and military tacticians throughout the Federation refight the Mars Defense Perimeter's resistance of the Borg incursion of 2366. No system in the Federation is better known, better charted, or more stereotyped.
- "The Cage". Star Trek, episode 0. Television. Desilu Studios, 1965 (Unaired).
- "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II". Star Trek: The Next Generation, episode 175. Television. Paramount Pictures Corporations, 24 September 1990.
- "Star Trek: Star Charts". Star Trek (Miscellaneous). Book. Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books, 2002.
- "Mosaic". Star Trek: Voyager. Novel. Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books, October 1996.
- "The Changeling". Star Trek, episode 37. Television. Desilu Studios, 28 September 1967.
- Star Trek. Film. Paramount Picturs Corporation, 8 May 2009.
- "Planets of the UFP: A Guide to Federation Worlds". Star Trek: The Next Generation Roleplaying Game, book 25102. Game. Last Unicorn Games, 1999.
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Film. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 26 November 1986.
- "Before Dishonor". Star Trek: The Next Generation. Novel. Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books, November 2007.
- "Demons". Star Trek: Enterprise, episode 96. Television. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 6 May 2005.
- "Ishtar Rising, Book One". Star Trek: S.C.E. Novel. Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books, July 2003.