|Portrayed by||Leonard Nimoy (TOS; TAS; ST01-ST06; ST11-ST12; TNG 207-208; STO)|
Spock was born on Vulcan on Stardate 2230.06 to a Human mother and a Vulcan father. Spock's dismissal of his mixed heritage was a point that Captain James T. Kirk teased him about on Stardate 1312.4.
In 2254,[Notes 1] Spock served as science officer aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 under Captain Christopher Pike. He was wounded in an incident with the Kaylar on Rigel VII shortly before an encounter with the Talosians on Talos IV, resulting in a slight limp. After serving under Captain Pike for 11 years, command of the Enterprise transferred to James T. Kirk. Spock continued on as science officer, as well as executive officer.
- The year that "The Cage" takes place, 2254, is derived from information given in "The Menagerie." Spock states that it has been 13 years since the incident on Talos IV, and that he served under Captain Pike for 11 years. Therefore, the episode is in the second year of Captain Kirk's five-year mission, which began in 2265, per the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Q2." Therefore, "The Menagerie" is set in 2267, and thirteen years prior to that is 2254.
- Dunbier, Scott (Editor). Star Trek: The Official Motion Picture Adaptation, issue #1. Written by Mike Johnson and Tim Jones. Pencils by David Messina with Claudia Balboni. Inks by Gaetano Carlucci. Colors by Giaovanna Niro and Ilaria Traversi. Letters by Robbie Robbins and Neil Uyetake. Based on the screenplay by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Corbomite Maneuver." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 2. Directed by Joseph Sargent. Written by Jerry Sohl. Desilu Productions, 10 November 1966.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 1. Directed by James Goldstone. Written by Samuel A. Peeples. Desilu Productions, 22 September 1966.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Cage." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 0. Directed by Robert Butler. Written by Gene Roddenberry. Desilu Productions, Unaired.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Menagerie, Part I." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 15. Directed by Marc Daniels. Written by Gene Roddenberry. Desilu Productions, 17 November 1966.