U.S.S. Essex NCC-1697
The Federation Starship Essex, a Constitution class cruiser[Notes 1] crewed entirely by Vulcans, was commissioned on Reference Stardate 2/0104 (April 2259),[Notes 2] and refit to Mark III specifications on Reference Stardate 2/0209 (September 2260). On Reference Stardate 2/1105 (May 2269), the Essex, commanded by Captain Salar, discovered the Klingon D-7 class vessel I.K.S. Dun Da Spu ("Great Book Strike") in the 34 Kraol system, within the Triangle. A Klingon landing party was attempting to alter the cultural development of the race native to the third planet, and sought to tap the world's extensive durallium deposits.
The Essex was upgraded to Mark I of the Refit specifications on Reference Stardate 2/1803 (September 2274); Reference Stardate 2/2406 (June 2287) saw a further refit, this time to the Mark III specifications. On Reference Stardate 2/2909 (September 2287), the Essex was transferred to Starfleet Training Command. The Essex was scrapped on Reference Stardate 2/5001 (January 2313).
- The registry listed for the Essex in the "Federation Ship Recognition Manual," NCC-1719, and that established in the "Star Fleet Technical Manual," NCC-1727, conflict with the registry given in The Star Trek Encyclopedia, which was subsequently used in other media, and the conflicting registries must be disregarded.
- FASA game materials referred to events by a FASA-specific dating standard called the "Reference Stardate." All dates taken from FASA sources in this article have been adapted from that notation into standard calendar dates, which are then adjusted for errors in the baseline dates used as reference by the FASA authors. Working with a known, dated event (e.g., the launch of the Constitution class starships), the other dates in the timeline can be adjusted accordingly. FASA sources give the launch of the Constitution class as Reference Stardate 1/8801.04, which translates to the standard caldendar date of 04 January 2188. This has been established on screen, however, as occurring in 2245. As the exact month and date remain unstated in other sources, those remain the same, but the year has been adjusted to 2245, giving a modified date of 04 January 2245. This can then also be converted into the pre-TOS stardate system established in Star Trek (2009), giving us a stardate of 2245.004.
- "An Imbalance of Power." Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game, Supplement 2220. Game. 1986. FASA.
- "Federation Ship Recognition Manual." Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game, Supplement 2302. Game. 1985. FASA.
- "Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual." Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game, Supplement 2012. Game. 1988. FASA.