- 1 Original Configuration
- 2 Refit Configuration
- 3 Further Redesign
- 4 Notes and References
Authorized under the Starfleet Appropriation of Stardate 0965, construction on the Constitution class cruiser began at the San Francisco Fleet Yards in September 2239, and the class first entered service in 2245. The most renowned vessels of their time, Constitution class cruisers performed their duties to perfection for several decades. An integral part of Starfleet's buildup during "The Great Awakening," the class also distinguished itself during the Four Years War.
Originally, the class was intended to be much smaller, similar to the Daedalus and Ranger classes that came before it, but a shift in design philosophies and the result of decades of research showed that a larger design could be feasible. The original construction contract called for thirteen vessels to be built, which would serve as cruisers with complete research facilities, capable of operating on five-year research and exploration missions. The prototype U.S.S. Constitution NCC-1700, commissioned on Stardate 2245.004 (04 January 2245,) was followed by a new ship each month thereafter; the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 in February, the U.S.S. Constellation NCC-1017 in March, the U.S.S. Intrepid NCC-1631 in April, the U.S.S. Republic NCC-1371 in May, and the U.S.S. Farragut NCC-1647 in June. These first five vessels spent the next two years undergoing shakedown trials, while the remaining seven vessels of the initial authorization of Stardate 0965 were built and commissioned over the next five years, ending with the U.S.S. Defiant NCC-1764 in November 2250.
When the Four Years War broke out in 2251, four Constitution class vessels saw combat; each distinguished itself in battle on multiple occasions, garnering the nickname "The Queens of Starfleet" for the class. After-action reports continued to show the class to be superior to any other in the fleet, and in November 2254, Starfleet Command ordered the production of more vessels of the class, and funding for the expansion of the class was authorized by the Starfleet Appropriation of Stardate 3220.
A multirole deep-space exploration cruiser, the Constitution class was able to project a Federation presence further than ever before. The class included a number of enhancements not found on other classes of the era. Lavish accommodations allowed for the performance of diplomatic and courier missions, while an abundance of scientific laboratories and personnel made the class a superb exploratory and scientific platform. A more modular design allowed the rapid replacement of components and the varying of payloads at a moment's notice, as well as easy upgrades during a vessel's operational lifetime, as opposed to lengthy overhauls that kept other classes in spacedock.
While the class originally mounted the Tesla-class FL-6 Phase cannons, known colloquially as "Lasers," the Mark II specifications would introduce FH-3 Phaser emplacements, which were later reclassified as Type IV Phasers. Constitution class starships used Duotronic computers, based on designs developed by Dr. Richard Daystrom in 2243, and mounted the most powerful engines available, based on the revolutionary designs of Dr. Lawrence Marvick. The class also mounted two Mark 12 indirect-fire torpedo tubes and Type I Photon torpedoes, which provided a sizable tactical advantage over older Spatial and Photonic torpedoes. These torpedo launchers were also capable of firing long-range probes, enhancing the Constitution class's sensor and exploration capabilities. The Mark II design also introduced newer, more powerful Shields, and crew capacity was expanded from 203 to 435, following the invention of the improved food synthesizer.
Because of these modifications to the original design, construction didn't begin until September 2255, and the first ship, the U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard NCC-1712, wasn't commissioned until January 2257, more than a year after the end of the war. Starfleet decided to continue the production of the Constitution class, and expanded the total number to 42 vessels.
In March 2259, the FWF-1 warp drive was brought into the inventory; all Constitution class ships were recalled to be refit as Mark IIIs, and construction on additional ships was authorized by the Starfleet Authorization of Stardate 5930. By October 2264, the refitting was complete, and the Constitution class remained the most advanced starship of its time. In 2266, only twelve of the original thirteen ships were still in existence.
|Mk I||Mk II||Mk III|
|Date Entered Service||2245||Jun 2260||Feb 2270|
|Cruising Speed||Warp 6 (OCU)||Warp 6 (OCU)||Warp 6 (OCU)|
|Emergency Speed||Warp 8 (OCU) for 12 hours||Warp 8 (OCU) for 12 hours||Warp 8 (OCU) for 12 hours|
|Weapons||6 FL-6 Phase cannons in 3 banks||6 FH-3 Type IV Phasers in 3 banks||6 FH-3 Type IV Phasers in 3 banks|
|2 torpedo tubes; 100 Photon torpedoes||2 torpedo tubes; 100 Photon torpedoes||2 torpedo tubes; 100 Photon torpedoes|
The central command area for the ship, the Main Bridge was located on Deck 1, and had sensor equipment mounted under a dome atop the bridge module, which supplemented readings received from the main dish. An Emergency Bridge was also located at the heart of Deck 7, deep within the primary hull, where it was surrounded by the ship's medical facilities and computer core. This facility could be used if the Main Bridge was disabled due to damage or malfunction. On Deck 19 in the secondary hull was a third bridge module, located adjacent to a secondary computer core directly aft of the ship's deflector array. This bridge module was intended for use in the event of saucer separation, at which point the engineering hull would operate independently of the saucer.
The captain's office was located on Deck 7. The office had a private bathroom and a reception area outside of the office. The office was used when the captain was not on the bridge or in his quarters, and was primarily used for formal individual or small meetings. The captain also had a private observation lounge, located on Deck 12, within the dorsal "neck" connecting the two hulls. Senior officers had individual offices away from the bridge, which were scattered throughout the ship, adjacent to their respective departments' facilities: the executive officer's office was located on Deck 8; the science officer's office was located on Deck 2, with the science labs; the chief medical officer's office was located within the sickbay facility on Deck 7; and the chief navigator's office was located near the chart room on Deck 7, which held navigational data in both electronic and hard copies.
Conference and briefing rooms were likewise scattered throughout the ship, on Decks 4, 5, 7, and 19. The Deck 4 conference room was used primarily by junior officers, passengers, and bridge personnel. The Deck 5 briefing room was often used for crew instruction, meetings, and small hearings. Classes were often held here as refreshers, to impart new information, and for anyone interested in broadening their horizons; courses ranged from formal instruction to informal courses on Three-dimensional chess, literature, and music. The briefing room on Deck 7 was used primarily by bridge personnel and the medical department, as well as a staging area for personnel about to embark via the transporters, also located on that deck, and as a debriefing area for landing parties. The Deck 19 briefing room was primarily used by personnel using the ship's auxiliary craft, given its proximity to the shuttlebay.
The Constitution class had fourteen separate science labs. A number of these labs were located on Decks 2 and 3. These labs were dedicated to chemistry, energy, biology, geology, physics, cosmology, and botany. Deck 18 held the ship's hydroponics laboratory, where fresh fruits and vegetables, along with other plants, could be grown. While it wasn't possible for the hydroponics lab to grow enough food to feed the entire crew, enough could be grown for special occasions, such as flowers for decoration. Also on Deck 18 was a botany lab, with a high bay that extended up into Deck 17. The Science Officer's office was located on Deck 2, adjacent to the laboratories.
The majority of the Constitution class medical facilities were located at the heart of Deck 7, with the main Sickbay, medical labs, operating/examination rooms, convalescent ward, thereaputic baths, obstetrics, dental unit, and medical supplies storage all arranged in a ring surrounding the ship's Emergency Bridge and computer core, a location that offered the greatest protection to these sensitive areas. Additional medical facilities were located on Deck 16 of the secondary hull, for use in case of emergencies in the engineering sections of that hull, or in case of emergency saucer separation. The primary medical facility was normally staffed by the Chief Medical Officer (CMO), while the secondary facility was staffed by the Assistant CMO.
Two forward-facing torpedo tubes were mounted on Deck 3, and the ship's phaser banks were mounted on Decks 5 and 11, with the Auxiliary Fire Control room adjoining the forward phaser bank on Deck 11. From Auxiliary Fire Control, the ship's weapons could be fired manually, in case the remote firing equipment on the Bridge was damaged or disabled. An aft-facing phaser array was located on Deck 15, above the Shuttle Control Room directly above the Shuttlebay doors at the aft of the ship, co-located with sensor equipment beneath a semi-transparent dome.
Security facilities were located on Deck 7 of the primary hull, near the ship's transporter rooms. Adjacent to the security office was a small arms arsenal, which was normally locked and guarded, either directly by security personnel or via security monitor. Also on Deck 7 was the ship's Brig, which consisted of ten cells, all with forcefield protective doors. A secondary security section, with its own brig and small arms arsenal, was located in the secondary hull on Deck 19.
The ship's impulse engines were located on Decks 6 and 7, at the aft end of the primary hull, and the engineering section that controlled these engines was located immediately adjacent to them on those decks. Main Engineering was located on Deck 16, with controls for the ship's warp drive located at this facility, with access to Jefferies tubes to the engines to the aft. Also on Deck 6 was a turbolift maintenance shop, which contained equipment for repair and maintenance of the ship's turbolift system, as well as controls for manual override of the system, allowing turbolift cars to be recalled or sent to any location on a priority basis, overriding local lift control, with a secondary turbolift maintenance shop on Deck 16. Emergency batteries were located on Decks 4 and 20.
Life support, fabrication, and wastes recovery/reclamation systems were also located in multiple locations throughout the ship, with redundant systems in the primary and secondary hulls on Decks 4, 8, 9, 15, 21, and 22. Fresh water storage was located on Deck 8 in the primary hull, and Deck 15 in the secondary hull. Cargo holds and raw materials storage were located on Decks 9 and 10 in the primary hull, and on Decks 20 through 23 in the secondary hull; in both cases, these storage areas were adjacent to cargo transporter systems and the shuttlebay. The ship's main computer core was located on Decks 7 and 8, buried deep within the primary hull, with secondary core on Decks 16 and 17 in the secondary hull.
Four personnel transporters were located on Deck 7. Three emergency transporters, capable of transporting 22 people at a time, were located on Deck 8, with another two on Deck 22 in the secondary hull. One cargo transporter was located on Deck 10, adjacent to the cargo holds in the primary hull, with a second on Deck 23.
Single-occupancy quarters for senior officers and VIP staterooms were located on Deck 5. Double-occupancy quarters for junior officers and passengers were located on Decks 4 and 5, and double-occupancy quarters for enlisted personnel and passengers were located on Decks 6 and 7. Additional double-occupancy quarters were located on Decks 17 through 19 in the engineering hull for personnel assigned to medical and engineering in the secondary hull. The ship's laundry was located on Deck 8 in the primary hull, and on Deck 21 in the secondary hull. This facility broke down clothing into its original components, extracted foreign matter, then recreated the item in the needed size and shape; the ship's computer stored crew members' sizes, so clothing was always immediately available.
Mess rooms were located at the center core of Deck 6 and on Deck 7 in the primary hull, and on Decks 17, 18, and 22 in the secondary hull. Food was delivered to food slots throughout the ship via a system of small turbolifts from the ship's galley, located on Deck 8; secondary galleys were located in the engineering hull on Decks 21 and 22, which supplemented the primary hull facilities in addition to serving the secondary hull.
Lounges and other recreational facilities were available for use throughout the ship, on Decks 5, 6, and 8 in the primary hull, and on Decks 9, 13, and 14 in the secondary hull's dorsal "neck." The lounge on Deck 5, while intended for senior officers, was open to any crewmember or visitor. Typically, lounges offered food slots, viewscreens for entertainment channels, and games. The Recreation Center, located on Deck 8, used holographic projections and other complicated scenery to generate convincing recreations of planetary landscapes or other settins, and could also be used to play back holographic recordings, enabling a kind of "holographic mail call" for the crew. The ship's gymnasium facilities were located on Deck 8 in the primary hull, and on Deck 20 in the secondary hull. The gymnasium was a large room, complete with equipment, showers, and lockers. In addition to opportunities for individual workouts, classes were also held to help keep personnel in shape. Deck 20 also was home to an 18-meter pool, which extended into Deck 21, as well as a second holographic Recreation Center. The ship's chapel was located on Deck 7, and was used for the crew's various religious services, weddings, and memorial services.
Auxiliary Spacecraft Systems
The shuttlebay spanned Decks 16 through 19. On Deck 16, at the aft of the ship, the shuttle control room looked out into space through a large window at the top of the hangar doors. This control room oversaw operation of the bay doors, the shuttle elevator/turntable at the base of the shuttlebay on Deck 19, atmospheric control, and cargo handling in the bay. On Deck 17, observation galleries ran along the sides of the shuttlebay, with windows overlooking the bay as well as looking out into space. The area was often crowded with off-duty personnel when shuttles were in use. The shuttle elevator/turntable located at the center of the shuttlebay could be used to transfer shuttlecraft to the shuttle maintenance area on Deck 20, and the shuttlecraft storage area on Deck 21.
Under extreme circumstances, it was possible to separate the primary hull from the dorsal connector and engineering hull, and to operate both sections independently. If performed as part of an abandon ship situation, the crippled portion of the ship would be evacuated into the other section, and the two sections would be separated by activation of explosive bolts at the joint. The primary hull would then be controlled by the Main Bridge, while the engineering hull would be controlled by the Auxiliary Bridge on Deck 19, aft of the main deflector array. Following separation, the primary hull could operate at up to .96c on the main impulse engines, located at the aft end of the saucer. The separated engineering hull, using the warp drive, could maneuver at up to .98c, as well as at warp speeds. Once separated, the two sections could not be reattached autonomously, and required the use of a major shipyard facility or specially equipped work crews from such a facility.
On Stardate 7523.2—7 April 2270—the U.S.S. Enterprise returned to Earth orbit following its last, historic five-year mission, by that point the only one of the original thirteen Constitution class vessels remaining in service. Although the decision had been made three months earlier to decommission and scrap the Enterprise, the ship had come to be seen as a symbol of Starfleet and the Federation. This swell of public opinion drove a motion in the Federation Council that led to a reversal of Starfleet's plans. The Enterprise, however, was still twenty-five years old; her systems were becoming outdated, and it soon became apparent that only a major refit could keep the ship at the forefront of the fleet. What began as a simple refit to the Mark IV specifications quickly evolved into a redesign of the entire vessel.
|Mk I||Mk II||Mk III||Mk IV|
|Date Entered Service||2273||Oct 2277||Feb 2279||Feb 2286|
|Transporters (Cargo)||2||2||2||2 large, 2 small|
|Crusing Speed||Warp 8 (OCU)||Warp 8 (OCU)||Warp 8 (OCU)||Warp 12 (OCU)|
|Emergency Speed||Warp 10 (OCU)||Warp 10 (OCU)||Warp 10 (OCU)||Warp 14 (OCU)|
|Weapons||6 FH-11 (Type VII) Phasers in 3 banks||6 FH-11 (Type VII) Phasers in 3 banks||8 FH-11 (Type VII) Phasers in 4 banks||8 FH-11 (Type VII) Phasers in 4 banks|
|2 torpedo tubes||2 torpedo tubes||3 torpedo tubes||4 torpedo tubes|
The M-4 computer system installed on the Constitution class prior to 2270 was inadequate to the task of handling the new propulsion and deflector systems, so the new M-6 computer system was installed, requiring further modification to the primary hull. While the M-4 occupied the central areas of Decks 7 and 8, the M-6 was housed in a central core shaft eight feet in diameter, which extended from Decks 2 through 11. At the midpoint of Deck 7, surrounding the computer core, was the ship's auxiliary control room, which was also known as the ship's Emergency or Auxiliary Bridge; it could assume all functions of the Main Bridge, should damage or malfunction cause it to become unusable. Designed for use in extreme combat situations, the auxiliary control room was deep within the primary hull, and was the best protected location aboard the ship. Also on Deck 7, near the transporter complex, was the main briefing room.
At the forward end of Deck 18, behind the navigational deflector, was the secondary auxiliary control center. This room, virtually identical to the auxiliary control center on Deck 7, encircled the vertical intermix chamber; it enabled command personnel to control shipboard systems in the event that the primary hull was separated or suffered severe structural or control damage. Just aft of the secondary auxiliary control center was a reserve M-6B engineering control computer. This computer, combined with the engineering computer on Deck 14, were sufficient to operate the secondary hull independently of the saucer and its M-6 computer core.
At the suggestion of Commander Montgomery Scott, the Enterprise's chief engineer, the ship was outfitted with the new FWG-1 / LN-64 Mod 3 warp engines, which would give the ship 33% more operating power and increase its range. This, however, required a new pylon assembly capable of withstanding the forces exerted by the higher speeds, which in turn led to several design changes in the secondary hull. The secondary hull was enlarged, giving room for larger shuttlebays, larger and more efficiently-arranged engineering compartments, enlarged and improved research facilities, and an enclosed deflector array. The primary hull was likewise expanded, to allow room for new control, life support, and computer systems, and sickbay was massively redesigned.
The ship's fabrication facility was located on Deck 8 and, using technology similar to that found in food synthesizers, it could manufacture nearly any object programmed into the fabricator matrix, and the adjoining reclamation facility reduced discarded items to their component elements for later use. The primary hull's four emergency landing legs were located on Decks 6 and 7; following an emergency hull separation, these legs could allow the saucer to land safely on a planetary surface. Due to the concave shape of the ventral side of the primary hull, much of Deck 7 did not attain full height. This area contained the ship's cargo bays, emergency batteries, food synthesizers, life support systems, fresh water tanks, and sanitary waste recovery systems.
Deck 14, the uppermost level of the secondary hull, served as the structural support strongback of the ship, and was the anchoring framework for the connecting dorsal and the warp nacelle pylons. The vertical Matter/Antimatter intermix chamber spanned Decks 6 through 19, while matter/antimatter storage was directly beneath it, on Decks 20 and 21; from this location, antimatter fuel could be quickly ejected in case of failure in the storage pods' containment forcefields. Main Engineering was located on Deck 15, where the intermix chamber's horizontal power transfer conduit went aft to the warp nacelle pylons.
The torpedo launchers were moved from the primary hull to the base of the dorsal connector on the engineering hull, and the newer launchers increased firepower by more than 20%. Though the torpedo launchers were initially intended to be fully automated, shortening the launch time by twenty percent, an unforeseen overheating problem plagued the auto-arming system, aborting seven percent of all attempted launches. Decks 12 and 13 were modified to house a two-level complex of photon torpedo storage and launching machinery. A backup firing computer was installed on Deck 12, just aft of the turbolift shaft. The torpedo launch tubes joined at the aft, allowing a single loading mechanism to service both tubes. Each tube was capable of holding four torpedoes at the ready for rapid firing. The phaser arrays were replaced by the new FH-11 / RIM-12C emplacements, which would later be redesignated the Type V. These phasers drew power directly from the warp engines, dramatically increasing their capabilities over the older Type IV. In addition to the main phasers on the primary hull, addtional phasers were located on Deck 15, adjacent to the shuttlebay control room, and on Deck 21, on the ventral side of the hull.
The auxiliary fire control center was located at the center of Deck 7, surrounding the computer core and directly beneath the auxiliary control room; all shipboard weapon systems could be controlled manually from this location. Also on this deck, adjoining the briefing room, was the ship's armory, as well as the main brig.
The improved sickbay complex formed a half-ring near the aft center of Deck 7. The latest advances in Federation medical technology could be found in the facility. A closed-circuit mini-transporter system, installed at various locations throughout the medical section, allowed tissue samples and cultures to be sent instantaneously to or from any lab aboard the ship. The ship's science labs were also located on Deck 7.
Twelve panoramic viewports line the outer walls of the ship's arboretum, located on Decks 20 and 21. This area, along with an adjoining botany laboratory, featured a wide variety of plant life, which made it a favorite of off-duty personnel. Bench seating allowed restful viewing of the garden and the viewports. A freshwater stream and pond was stocked with several species of tropical fish.
Deck 2 was converted from science laboratories to a VIP/Officers' lounge, as well as the officers' mess, which dominated the deck. The lounge area also included a bar, outfitted with updated food slots that were installed throughout the ship, and a privacy area.
Crew quarters and recreational facilities were eliminated from the secondary hull, allowing space for the expanded cargo deck, shuttlebay, and engineering facilities. Double-occupancy VIP staterooms were located on Deck 4, as well as a conference room and junior officers' quarters, which were now single-occupancy rooms with individual bathrooms. Deck 5 housed the ship's senior officers' quarters, as well as additional VIP staterooms; senior officers' quarters were nearly identical to the VIP staterooms, except they were single-occupancy rooms. The majority of Deck 6 was occupied by crew quarters, which were single-occupancy rooms, with two rooms sharing a common bathroom. At the center of the deck was the crew mess, and the upper level of the rec deck was located at the aft end of the deck, to starboard of the impulse engines. Adjoining this was the crew lounge, which was similar to the officers' lounge on Deck 2. The main level of the rec deck was located on Deck 7; this room provided off-duty personnel with electronic games and library facilities, while bowling and racquetball facilities adjoined the reck deck on its starboard side. Additionally, the ship's chapel and gymnasium were located on Deck 7, and the ship's laundry was on Deck 8.
A spacious mess hall was connected to the ship's arboretum on Deck 21, and it was in turn connected to a galley where food could be prepared without the use of food processor technology. At the aft end of Decks 20 and 21 was the ship's swimming pool and sun deck. At its deepest point, the pool was twelve feet (3.66 meters), and three feet (0.91 meter) at its shallowest point. Mounted onto the walls surrounding the pool and sundeck were a series of wraparound viewscreens, which could be programmed to display a variety of beach and island scenes, creating a convincing illusion of a planetary landscape.
The Constitution class refit introduced a new corridor design, which provided more than simple access from room to room; several safety and survival features were built into its walls and ceilings. In each corridor segment, there was an emergency survival compartment behind the second panel from the ceiling, which could provide life support and communications for one crew member in case of sudden decompression. A zip-seal pressure bag could fold out of the compartment's padding, allowing the crewmember inside to be transported to safety by other personnel in environmental suits. The panel below the survival compartment opened to a survival suit locker. More compact than a full environmental suit, these survival suits could be donned quickly, and provided atmosphere and heat for two hours. Each locker contained two suits. An emergency equipment locker was accessible via the panel closest to the ceiling; this locker contained additional life support units for survival suits, cutting torches, emergency beacons, communications equipment, tether lines, and other emergency gear. The corridors on each deck deck were color-coded for easy location identification: Deck 4 was brown, Deck 5 was red; Deck 6 was silver; Deck 7 was white; Deck 8 was light blue, Deck 9 was yellow; and all secondary hull corridors were silver.
Auxiliary Spacecraft Systems
Starfleet's standardized docking ports, used by travel pods and the new Type SW-7 Shuttlecraft, were also installed on Decks 8, 13, and 17, as well as the aft of the new bridge module. Deck 8 was often referred to as the "docking level," as it housed the primary hull's two main docking port complexes, which were normally concealed behind sliding doors that remained flush with the rest of the outer hull when closed. Each docking port contained storage bays with EVA gear and hull repair materials.
At the aft of the ship on Deck 15, the shuttlebay control room was located directly above the shuttlebay doors. Five large windows looked out into space, with three additional windows allowing a view above the ship, as well as a row of floor-level windows allowing an unobstructed view of the shuttlebay below, which spanned Decks 16 and 17. This facility controlled the shuttlebay doors, landing tractor beams, and atmosphere-maintaining forcefield. Alcoves on either side of the shuttlebay provided storage for up to six standard work bees; additional space was available for the stowage of auxiliary craft not assigned to the ship. A landing tractor beam was mounted to the bulkhead between the observation galleries on Deck 16, and an auto-landing system was built into the center of the bay floor.
The shuttlecraft hangar level was on Deck 18, below the shuttlebay. The hangar had sufficient room for the storage of four shuttlecraft at any given time. This deck also housed the ship's lifeboat facilities. These one-person craft, which escaped the ship via blow-away panels in the side of the secondary hull, could be used in case of an emergency that required evacuation of the ship. If the primary hull separated, any personnel in lifeboats could be beamed aboard the saucer, or the lifeboats could dock at the docking ports on Deck 8.
Over the years, the Constitution class would see further modification. The Mark II refit specifications, introduced in October 2277, replaced the impulse drive with a newer model, providing a 7% increase in operating power. The Mark III, introduced in February 2279, brought in a yet newer impulse drive model, providing a 15% increase in operating power over the Mark I, and a 6% increase over the Mark II; it also brought in an additional bank of aft-facing phasers, and an aft-facing torpedo launcher, as well as an upgrade to the M-6A computer system. The Mark IV, introduced in February 2286, mounted a new warp drive system, which incorporated numerous advances gleaned from the failed transwarp drive experiments of the early 2280s, allowing for even faster speeds than ever. A fourth torpedo launcher was installed, also facing aft. Finally, the computer system was upgraded to the M-7A computer in order to better manage these new systems. The class was ultimately retired from service, beginning in 2293.
Constitution class vessels
U.S.S. Acrux NCC-1818 | U.S.S. Adhara NCC-1827 | U.S.S. Agena NCC-1816 | U.S.S. Ahwahnee NCC-2048 | U.S.S. Ahzdar NCC-1790 | U.S.S. Akagi NCC-1779 | U.S.S. Akagi | U.S.S. Alam'ak NCC-1796 | U.S.S. Aldebaran NCC-1812 | U.S.S. Alioth NCC-1828 | U.S.S. Alkaid NCC-1829 | U.S.S. Altair NCC-1803 | U.S.S. Anak NCC-1821 | U.S.S. Antares NCC-1820 | U.S.S. Arcturus NCC-1807 | U.S.S. Ari NCC-1723 | U.S.S. Arided NCC-1831 | U.S.S. Ark Royal NCC-1791 | U.S.S. Astrad NCC-1739 | U.S.S. Behr'ak NCC-1797 | U.S.S. Bellatrix NCC-1832 | U.S.S. Betelgeuse NCC-1822 | U.S.S. Binar NCC-1819 | U.S.S. Bismarck | U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard NCC-1712 | U.S.S. Bunker Hill NCC-1745 | U.S.S. Canopus NCC-1814 | U.S.S. Capella NCC-1809 | U.S.S. Castor NCC-1833 | U.S.S. Challenger | U.S.S. Chikuma NCC-1759 | U.S.S. Chikuma | U.S.S. Clemenceau | U.S.S. Confederate | U.S.S. Constellation NCC-1017 | U.S.S. Constellation NCC-1728 | U.S.S. Constitution NCC-1700 | U.S.S. Darion NCC-1810 | U.S.S. Defiant NCC-1764 | U.S.S. Defiant | U.S.S. Deneb NCC-1826 | U.S.S. Discovery NCC-1798 | U.S.S. Eagle NCC-956 | U.S.S. Ekinus NCC-1771 | U.S.S. El Dorado NCC-1722 | U.S.S. El Dorado | U.S.S. Emperador NCC-1774 | U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-1895 | U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 | U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A | U.S.S. Eskiis NCC-1789 | U.S.S. Essex NCC-1697 | U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-1664 | U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-1711 | U.S.S. Excelsior NCC-1718 | U.S.S. Exeter NCC-1672 | U.S.S. Exeter NCC-1706 | U.S.S. Explorer NCC-1966 | U.S.S. Farragut NCC-1647 | U.S.S. Farragut NCC-1729 | U.S.S. Fontana NCC-1793 | U.S.S. Forrestal NCC-1751 | U.S.S. Forrestal | U.S.S. Franklin NCC-1743 | U.S.S. Friedland NCC-1781 | U.S.S. Ghar NCC-1786 | U.S.S. Gniesenau NCC-1773 | U.S.S. Graf Zeppelin NCC-1726 | U.S.S. Hancock NCC-1735 | U.S.S. Helios NCC-1825 | U.S.S. Hiryu | U.S.S. Hood NCC-1703 | U.S.S. Hood | U.S.S. Hor NCC-1813 | U.S.S. Hornet NCC-1714 | U.S.S. Horok NCC-1748 | U.S.S. Inchon NCC-1738 | U.S.S. Intrepid NCC-1631 | U.S.S. Intrepid NCC-1851 | U.S.S. Java NCC-1794 | U.S.S. Jupiter NCC-1734 | U.S.S. K'Hotan NCC-1802 | U.S.S. K'Ushui NCC-1801 | U.S.S. Kaga NCC-1780 | U.S.S. Kaga | U.S.S. Kars NCC-1769 | U.S.S. Kearsarge | U.S.S. Kep Salu NCC-1767 | U.S.S. Kestral NCC-1766 | U.S.S. Ketoi NCC-1768 | U.S.S. King George V NCC-1740 | U.S.S. Kirishima NCC-1775 | U.S.S. Kitty Hawk NCC-1754 | U.S.S. Kitty Hawk | U.S.S. Kongo NCC-1710 | U.S.S. Kongo | U.S.S. Konigsburg NCC-1782 | U.S.S. Lafayette NCC-1720 | U.S.S. Langley NCC-1749 | U.S.S. Lexington NCC-1709 | U.S.S. Littorio NCC-1727 | U.S.S. Lux NCC-1823 | U.S.S. Marcello NCC-1785 | U.S.S. Marseille NCC-1744 | U.S.S. Mazda NCC-1778 | U.S.S. Merrimac NCC-1715 | U.S.S. Miaplacidas NCC-1836 | U.S.S. Minsk NCC-1752 | U.S.S. Mirazh NCC-1788 | U.S.S. Monitor NCC-1713 | U.S.S. Murzim NCC-1838 | U.S.S. Musashi NCC-1804 | U.S.S. Ndele NCC-1758 | U.S.S. Oomaru NCC-1761 | U.S.S. Oriskany NCC-1733 | U.S.S. Paegan NCC-1755 | U.S.S. Pari NCC-1787 | U.S.S. Christopher Pike | U.S.S. Pilar NCC-1746 | U.S.S. Polaris NCC-1839 | U.S.S. Pollux NCC-1808 | U.S.S. Potemkin NCC-1657 | U.S.S. Potemkin | U.S.S. Prince of Wales NCC-1741 | U.S.S. Procyon NCC-1756 | U.S.S. Proxima NCC-1737 | U.S.S. Qual'at NCC-1776 | U.S.S. Radetsky NCC-1792 | U.S.S. Radetsky | U.S.S. Ranger NCC-1707 | U.S.S. Regulus NCC-1840 | U.S.S. Republic NCC-1371 | U.S.S. Republic NCC-1753 | U.S.S. Richelieu NCC-1750 | U.S.S. Rigel NCC-1824 | U.S.S. Rivoli NCC-1765 | U.S.S. Rivoli | U.S.S. Santissma Trinidad NCC-1742 | U.S.S. Saratoga NCC-1724 | U.S.S. Sardar NCC-1811 | U.S.S. Scharnhorst NCC-1772 | U.S.S. Shaandra NCC-1795 | U.S.S. Shaula NCC-1841 | U.S.S. Sinuiji NCC-1770 | U.S.S. Soryu NCC-1730 | U.S.S. Spica NCC-1815 | U.S.S. Temivr NCC-1763 | U.S.S. Tholus NCC-1747 | U.S.S. Ticonderoga NCC-1736 | U.S.S. Ticonderoga | U.S.S. Tori NCC-1725 | U.S.S. Trojan NCC-4200 | U.S.S. Tulan NCC-1777 | U.S.S. Tutakai NCC-1799 | U.S.S. Ukrania NCC-1783 | Unknown ship NCC-1335 | U.S.S. Valiant NCC-1731 | U.S.S. Valley Forge NCC-1732 | U.S.S. Vega NCC-1806 | U.S.S. Vena NCC-1817 | U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760 | U.S.S. Wasp NCC-1721 | U.S.S. Wezen NCC-1842 | U.S.S. Yaan NCC-1762s | U.S.S. Yamato NCC-1705 | U.S.S. Yorktown NCC-1704 | U.S.S. Yorktown NCC-1717 | U.S.S. Zuiho NCC-1716
U.S.S. Akagi NCC-1779 | U.S.S. Ark Royal NCC-1791 | U.S.S. Bismarck NCC-1704 | U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard NCC-1776 | U.S.S. Challenger NCC-1715 | U.S.S. Chikuma NCC-1759 | U.S.S. Constellation NCC-1017 | U.S.S. Constitution NCC-1700 | U.S.S. Defiant NCC-1764 | U.S.S. Discovery NCC-1798 | U.S.S. Eagle NCC-1738 | U.S.S. El Dorado NCC-1724 | U.S.S. Endeavor NCC-1777 | U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 | U.S.S. Essex NCC-1719 | U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-1664 | U.S.S. Exeter NCC-1672 | U.S.S. Farragut NCC-1647 | U.S.S. Forrestal NCC-1751 | U.S.S. Hood NCC-1703 | U.S.S. Hornet NCC-1778 | U.S.S. Intrepid NCC-1631 | U.S.S. Kaga NCC-1780 | U.S.S. Kent NCC-1725 | U.S.S. Kitty Hawk NCC-1754 | U.S.S. Kongo NCC-1710 | U.S.S. Langley NCC-1749 | U.S.S. Lexington NCC-1709 | U.S.S. Littorio NCC-1727 | U.S.S. Marseille NCC-1744 | U.S.S. Potemkin NCC-1702 | U.S.S. Radetsky NCC-1792 | U.S.S. Republic NCC-1373 | U.S.S. Richelieu NCC-1750 | U.S.S. Rivoli NCC-1765 | U.S.S. Santissma Trinidad NCC-1742 | U.S.S. Saratoga NCC-1720 | U.S.S. Ticonderoga NCC-1736 | U.S.S. Valiant NCC-1718 | U.S.S. Victory NCC-1760 | U.S.S. Yamato NCC-1705 | U.S.S. Yorktown NCC-1717
U.S.S. Akagi II NCC-1779 | U.S.S. Bismarck NCC-1704 (RC) | U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard NCC-1776 (RC) | U.S.S. Bunker Hill NCC-1745 | U.S.S. Challenger NCC-1715 (RC) | U.S.S. Chikuma II NCC-1759 | U.S.S. Clemenceau NCC-1784 | U.S.S. Constellation NCC-1706 | U.S.S. Defiant II NCC-1764 | U.S.S. Eagle II NCC-1738 | U.S.S. El Dorado II NCC-1724 | U.S.S. Emperador NCC-1774 | U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 (RC) | U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A | U.S.S. Essex NCC-1719 (RC) | U.S.S. Excalibur NCC-1711 | U.S.S. Exeter NCC-1712 | U.S.S. Farragut NCC-1708 | U.S.S. Fontana NCC-1793 | U.S.S. Forrestal II NCC-1751 | U.S.S. Franklin NCC-1743 | U.S.S. Friedland NCC-1781 | U.S.S. Gniesenau NCC-1773 | U.S.S. Graf Zeppelin NCC-1726 | U.S.S. Hancock NCC-1735 | U.S.S. Hiryu NCC-1731 | U.S.S. Hood II NCC-1703 | U.S.S. Intrepid NCC-1707 | U.S.S. Java NCC-1794 | U.S.S. Kaga II NCC-1780 | U.S.S. Kearsarge NCC-1721 | U.S.S. King George V NCC-1740 | U.S.S. Kitty Hawk II NCC-1754 | U.S.S. Kirishima NCC-1775 | U.S.S. Kongo II NCC-1710 | U.S.S. Konigsburg NCC-1782 | U.S.S. Lexington NCC-1709 (RC) | U.S.S. Marcello NCC-1785 | U.S.S. Marseille NCC-1744 (RC) | U.S.S. Minsk NCC-1752 | U.S.S. Oriskany NCC-1733 | U.S.S. Potemkin II NCC-1702 | U.S.S. Prince of Wales NCC-1741 | U.S.S. Radetsky II NCC-1792 | U.S.S. Republic NCC-1753 | U.S.S. Rivoli II NCC-1765 | U.S.S. Santissma Trinidad NCC-1742 (RC) | U.S.S. Scharnhorst NCC-1772 | U.S.S. Soryu NCC-1730 | U.S.S. Ticonderoga II NCC-1736 | U.S.S. Ukrania NCC-1783 | U.S.S. Valiant NCC-1718 (RC) | U.S.S. Valley Forge NCC-1732 | U.S.S. Victory II NCC-1760 | U.S.S. Wasp NCC-1734 | U.S.S. Yamato NCC-1705 (RC) | U.S.S. Yorktown II NCC-1717 | U.S.S. Zuiho NCC-1716
Notes and References
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Dagger of the Mind." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 10. Directed by Vincent McEveety. Written by S.Bar-David. Desilu Productions, 3 November 1966.
- Joseph, Franz. Star Trek: Star Fleet Technical Manual. Ballantine Books, November 1975.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Trouble With Tribbles." Star Trek, Season 2, Episode 13. Directed by Joseph Pevney. Written by David Gerrold. Desilu Productions, 29 December 1967.
- Theisen, John A. "The Four Years War." Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, Supplement 2218A. Cover Art and Illustrations by Dana Knutson. FASA Corporation. 1986.
- Hite, Kenneth (Line Developer). "Core Rule Book." Star Trek Roleplaying Game, Book 45000. Designed by Christian Moore, Ross Isaacs, Kenneth Hite, and Steven S. Long. Written by James L. Cambias ("Space," "New Life," "Menagerie," and "New Civilizations"), Jackie Cassada and Nicky Rea ("To Boldly Go," and "Where No Man Has Gone Before"), Kenneth Hite (passim), Robin D. Laws ("Federation," "Starfleet," and fictional vignettes), Steven S. Long ("Character Creation," "Characteristics," "Action," "Rewards," "Starships," and "Starship Combat"), S. John Ross ("Constructing an Episode"), and John Snead ("Starship Locations," and "Technology"). Editing by Janice Sellers. Original Art by Randy Asplund (ships), Joe Corroney (creatures), Gordon Purcell (archetypes and adventure), and Walter Velez (Yorktown crew). Last Unicorn Games, Inc., 1999.
- Brown, Forest G. "Federation Ship Recognition Manual." Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, Supplement 2302, 2nd ed. Cover Art by Dana Knutson. Illustrations by Dana Knutson and Robert Oswald. FASA Corporation, 1985.
- Heinig, Jess and Isaacs, Ross A. (Line Developers). "Starships." Star Trek Roleplaying Game, Book 4. Written by Bridges, Bill, Greenberg, Andrew, Hite, Kenneth, Isaacs, Ross A., and Sun, Doug. Illustrations by David Pipgrass. Decipher, Inc., 2003.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Cage." Star Trek, Season 0, Episode 0. Directed by Robert Butler. Written by Gene Roddenberry. Desilu Productions, 1965 (Released 1986).
- "Silent Enemy." Enterprise, Episode 12. Television. 16 January 2002.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Cage." Star Trek, Season 0, Episode 0. Directed by Robert Butler. Written by Gene Roddenberry. Desilu Productions, 1965 (Released 1986).
- The ship's armaments were referred to as "lasers" in "The Cage," then as "phasers" throughout the rest of the series and spinoffs; this was due to the properties of lasers being a known quantity in reality, which could potentially hinder future story writing, so a new term was coined. Star Trek: Enterprise established that the energy weapons in that series were called "phase cannons," a technological precursor to phasers. As phasers were not introduced until after "The Cage," I have reconciled this issue by stating that the ship was fitted with phase cannons, which were colloquially known as "lasers."
- Isaacs, Ross A. (Line Developer). "Narrator's Guide." Star Trek Roleplaying Game, Book 2. Written by Colville, Matthew, Hite, Kenneth, Isaacs, Ross A., Long, Steven S., Mappin, Don, Moore, Christian, and Seyler, Owen. Edited by Ross A. Isaacs. Starship Graphics by David Pipgras. [[Decipher, Inc.], 2002.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Ultimate Computer." Star Trek, Season 2, Episode 24. Directed by John Meredyth Lucas. Story by Laurence N. Wolfe. Teleplay by D.C. Fontana. Desilu Productions, 8 March 1968.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer) and Freiberger, Fred (Producer). "Is There in Truth No Beauty?." Star Trek, Season 3, Episode 7. Directed by Ralph Senensky. Written by Jean Lisette Aroeste. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 18 October 1968.
- "The Expanse." Enterprise, Episode 52. Television. 21 May 2003.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Charlie X." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 7. Directed by Lawrence Dobkin. Story by Gene Roddenberry. Teleplay by D.C. Fontana. Desilu Production, 15 September 1966.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Conscience of the King." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 12. Directed by Gerd Oswald. Written by Barry Trivers. Desilu Productions, 8 December 1966.
- Joseph, Franz. Star Trek Blueprints. Ballantine Books, 1973.
- Isaacs, Ross A. (Line Developer). "Player's Guide." Star Trek Roleplaying Game, Book 1. Designed by Ross A. Isaacs, Christian Moore, and Owen Seyler. Additional Design by Matthew Colville, Kenneth Hite, Steven S. Long, and Don Mappin. Written by Matthew Colville, Kenneth Hite, Steven S. Long, Don Mappin, Christian Moore, and Seyler, Owen. Edited by Janice Sellers. Original Art by Kieran Yanner. Decipher, Inc., 2002.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer) and Freiberger, Fred (Producer). "The Mark of Gideon." Star Trek, Season 3, Episode 17. Directed by Jud Taylor. Written by George F. Slavin and Stanley Adams. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 17 January 1969.
- McLimore, Guy W. Jr., Poehlein, Greg K., and Tepool, David F. "Adventure Book." Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, Book 2001B. Illustrations and Drawings by Mitch O'Connell and Jordan Weisman. FASA Corporation, 1983.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Enemy Within." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 4. Directed by Leo Penn. Written by Richard Matheson. Desilu Productions, 6 October 1966.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Operation--Annihilate!." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 29. Directed by Herschel Daugherty. Written by Steven W. Carabatsos. Desilu Productions, 13 April 1967.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Corbomite Maneuver." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 2. Directed by Joseph Sargent. Written by Jerry Sohl. Desilu Productions, 10 November 1966.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Balance of Terror." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 8. Directed by Vincent McEveety. Written by Paul Schneider. Desilu Productions, 15 December 1966.
- "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II." Star Trek: Enterprise, Episode 95. Television. 29 April 2005.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Naked Time." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 6. Directed by Marc Daniels. Written by John D.F. Black. Desilu Productions, 29 September 1966.
- Scheimer, Lou & Prescott, Norm (Producers). "The Practical Joker." Star Trek: The Animated Series, Episode 20. Directed by Bill Reed. Written by Chuck Menville. Filmation Associates, 21 September 1974.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 1. Directed by James Goldstone. Written by Samuel A. Peeples. Desilu Productions, 22 September 1966.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Galileo Seven." Star Trek, Season 1, Episode 13. Directed by Robert Gist. Story by Oliver Crawford Teleplay by Oliver Crawford & S. Bar-David. Desilu Productions, 5 January 1967.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Doomsday Machine." Star Trek, Season 2, Episode 6. Directed by Marc Daniels. Written by Norman Spinrad. Desilu Productions, 20 October 1967.
- Abnett, Dan & Edginton, Ian (Writer). "None But the Brave". Star Trek Unlimited, issue 4. Pencils by Mark Buckingham. Inks by Kev Sutherland. Colors by Kevin Somers. Lettering by Phil Felix. Edited by Chip Carter, Tim Tuohy & Bob Harras. Marvel Comics, May 1997.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Executive Producer). "The Apple." Star Trek, Season 2, Episode 9. Directed by Joseph Pevney. Written by Max Ehrlich (Story and Teleplay) and Gene L. Coon (Teleplay). Desilu Productions, 13 October 1967.
- Johnson, Shane. Star Trek: Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. Pocket Books, July 1987.
- "Q2." Star Trek: Voyager, Episode 265. Television. 11 April 2001.
- Roddenberry, Gene (Producer). Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Directed by Robert Wise. Story by Alan Dean Foster. Screenplay by Harold Livingston Paramount Pictures Corporation, 7 December 1979.
- Stuart, Rick. "Star Trek: The Next Generation Officer's Manual." Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, Supplement 2012. Cover Design by Jim Nelson. Illustrations by Rob Caswell, David R. Dietrick, A.C. Farley, Dana Knutson, Jim Nelson, Jeff Laubenstein, and Todd F. Marsh. Deck Plans by Steve Venters. Cutaway Illustrations by David R. Deitrick. Ship Illustrations by Dana Knutson. FASA Corporation. 1988.
- Salin, Robert (Producer). Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Directed by Nicholas Meyer. Story by Harve Bennett and Jack B. Sowards. Screenplay by Nicholas Meyer (Uncredited). Paramount Pictures Corporation, 4 June 1982.
- McLimore, Guy W. Jr., and Poehlein, Greg K., with Forest Brown and David Tepool. "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock Sourcebook Update." Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, Supplement 2214. Graphics and Layout by Dana Knutson and Jordan Weisman. FASA Corporation. 1984.
- Steven-Charles Jaffe & Ralph Winter (Producers). Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Directed by Nicholas Meyer. Story by Leonard Nimoy and Lawrence Konner & Mark Rosenthal. Screenplay by Nicholas Meyer & Denny Martin Flinn. Paramount Pictures Corporation, 6 December 1991.